Homographs are words with different pronunciations, meanings, and origins but the same spelling.
According to Your Dictionary “, homographs have the same spelling and different meanings, but unlike homophones, homographs may also have different pronunciations; For example, when you pronounce the word advocate with a short /a/ sound, it’s a noun that means “a person who speaks up for another person.” But when you pronounce the word with a long /a/ sound, it’s a verb that means “to support or plead the case of another person.”
Here, at thelingwist, we list some commonly used homographs in one sentence with examples.
- I shall stop here because I am content with this content!
- Sara was a good wife, and Richard was clearly very content
- The dog lead was dangerous because it was made of lead.
- He could lead if he would get the lead out.
- The bandage was wound around the wound
- The vines wound around his ankle, making him fall. That’s why he has a nasty wound on his leg.
- The soldier had to desert his platoon in the desert
- Some plants have adapted to live in the dry desert.
- Rita was too close to the door to close it.
- Go to the shop that’s close to your house, and make sure to close the door before you leave.
- The vegetable farm was asked to produce organic produce for the local community.
- The Farm was used to produce produce.
- To help with the planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
- Fill a pot with compost and sow a thin layer of seeds on top.
- I did not object to the object in question
- The object of the sentence comes after the verb.
- The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
- The wind blew softly as we watched the river wind its way through the valley.
- The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
- She spent the rest of her life as an invalid ( sick)
- All the pupils in the classroom have dilated pupils because of the dim light in the room.
- They are former pupils of the school.
- You need to compact the soil before building a road.
- There’s a small mirror in my compact.
- George’s wife said he should polish the Polish furniture on a regular basis.
- Your essay is good, you just need to polish it a bit.
- After months of procrastination, Lina decided to resume writing her resume.
- She hopes to resume work after the baby is born.
- The buck does get rather excited when the does are around.
- Look at the does and their fawns in the meadow.
- How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
- Intimate details of his sexual encounters
- There was a report on the news about an escaped convict.
- My neighbor was convicted of shoplifting.
- Offenders will be liable to a heavy fine.
- If you want to use cheese instead of chicken, that’s fine.
- The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse
- She broke his heart when she refused his proposal.
- She shed a tear upon seeing the tear in the painting.
- I’ll tear the package open.
If you like this article, please share and comment!